Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Our Food Plan, Part One

We aren't following any No-Thing New rules when it comes to food.  Convenience foods are allowed, eating out is allowed once a week, and expensive chocolates are allowed. 

Although our food shopping patterns have stayed the same, they aren't very typical.  If you read the blog regularly and pay attention (hehe!), you've already had glimpses of this.  Back when I was spouting off about coupons, I mentioned Aldi and salvage stores.  We also had our CSA adventures which I cover over at the other blog. We don't avoid conventional grocery stores entirely, but our use of them is limited.


One of the links in our food chain is salvage stores or grocery outlets as they are sometimes called.  They aren't the most glamorous places to shop, and inventories vary wildly, but I can almost always count on finding a few things.  How about cereal for under $1.50 per box?  And this is just the kind of cereal I want, not complete bird food, but free of high fructose corn syrup.  I made the photo extra large so you can see both the prices and the date stamps.  Yes, "Best by" dates may be tight, but there is not a thing wrong with that.  Just use common sense.


I am a big fan of salty snacks, but I have a rule:  They may not cost more than 20 cents per ounce.  This bag of pretzels (the best brand of pretzels in the world) wouldn't have qualified at $2.19.


Were you wondering what was marked 2 for $1.00?  Stella D'oro Margherites!  Gerry usually takes care of baked goods around here, but for that price, we couldn't pass them up.  And the Kashi cereal?  $2.49 is a little more than I'll usually pay, but that is a $5.49 box of cereal, and it's delicious.

Saving this money on convenience foods means we have more of our grocery budget left for the fresh stuff, without having to waste time with coupons!  Up next: Where Aldi fits in.

3 comments:

Sherry from Alabama said...

What great buys! We don't have any salvage stores around us anymore. I buy 99% of our groceries from Aldi. I have to drive about 20-25 miles to get there but I think I save enough to make the drive worth it. I make it a kind of game to cook all our meals with only Aldi products and to see how low I can keep our food bill. I do throw in the occasional cut flower bouquet from Aldi though, food for the eyes and soul. :)

I'll be looking forward to your Aldi post.

Anonymous said...

Sherry, a couple of years ago we actually had an all aldi christmas dinner!

Gerry

Kris said...

My favorite cereal is homemade granola. I should figure out how much it costs per ounce. I use some expensive ingredients, like nuts and dried cherries, so it would be interesting to see how it compares to purchased cereal. But it really doesn't matter, because it is so much better!